Sunday, May 8, 2011

Plyometrics – a Fun Workout; Hop, Skip and Jump Like a Kid!

Last year the P90X (X for eXtreme) workout was the buzz and I bought the program.  I enjoyed it, even though I  admit my participation was more like P90L (L for Light).  One P90X workout I especially enjoyed was Plyometrics, something I’d never heard of before.  Plyometrics is a series of jumping, bounding and hopping exercises designed to build explosiveness in sports.  It increases power, which is the combination of speed and strength. For those who want specific details about the benefits of plyometrics and how the workouts build power, I’ve provided links below.
At my age, I’m not looking for power or explosiveness. I’m thankful just to put in my mileage or do spinning. I did notice a slight improvement in running and perhaps more spring and balance in my daily activities which is something us mature folks need.  Above all, plyometrics was fun! It was a break from the typical aerobics and weights.  The sideways skipping and running around a square made me feel like a grade schooler again.
I’ve read that plyometrics can lead to injury. I did the P90X program for a few months with no injury.  Just be sure to warm up and do it gently if you are older or prone to injury (the Plyometrics 101 link below gives an example of a less intense workout).
Check out the links below for plyometrics workouts. And happy hopping, skipping and jumping!
References
The first three links show more moderate versions of plyometrics.  The fourth link is a link to a more vigorous workout.
  1. P90x Plyometrics, You Tube, Worldandmaerekoo - Watch this video and you’ll get double the fun by watching two average guys going through the routine. They don’t do complete reps, but you’ll get the idea.
  2. P90X Week 3 Plyrometics, YouTube, EboniqueAmazon – Another video of an average person (Ebonique Amazon) going through the P90X routine.
  3. Plyometrics 101, YouTube, FabsCyberFitness – Follow the woman if you want a gentler version of the routine.
  4. Plyometrics Circuit, YouTube, ironbird 99 – For those who want a more vigorous Plyometric routine.
  5. Cooper, Bob. "Plyometric Power." Runner's World: Running Shoes, Marathon Training, Racing. Rodale Press, Aug. 2004. Web. 08 May 2011 – Includes  12 drills for runners who want better balance, increased speed and more agility.
  6. Davies, Phil. "Plyometric Training... Programs & Exercises for Power." Phil Davies' Sports Fitness Advisor - Get Fit for Sport & Life. Sporting Excellence, Ltd. Web. 08 May 2011 – Includes links to two articles on the effectiveness of plyometrics plus links to specific plyometric exercises.
  7. Quinn, Elizabeth. "Plyometric Exercises – Using Plyometric Exercises to Build Speed and Power." Sports Medicine, Sports Performance, Sports Injury - Information About Sports Injuries and Workouts for Athletes. About.com, 8 Dec. 2008. Web. 08 May 2011 – A description of Plyometrics with references to safety research and safety tips.

2 comments:

  1. Hi MistysMom! Love your blog and your recipies. I agree with you, if you take the exercises lightly and follow the instructions, it is very unlikely that you will get hurt. I am newer than you at plyometrics, I've been doing the BeachBody workouts (www.beachbody.co.uk) for the past month only, but I felt alright after every session.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vertical jumping is a component of most sports. It is often taken for granted that an athlete instinctually knows how to jump vertically. Actually though, jumping vertically is a skill that can and should be taught to athletes
    Research has proven that heavy lifting and plyometric training have effectively improved power output. A combination of both can result in gaining improvement in your vertical jump.
    http://increaseyourverticaljump.org

    ReplyDelete