Sunday, October 16, 2011

Acid Reflux - Find What Works for You

istockphoto.com
I’ve suffered with Acid Reflux (GERD, Gastro-esophageal Reflux Disease) most of my adult life.  This week’s blog won’t give you medical details, I’ll just share some observations. These are obviously not scientific research, but I’ve found that in many chronic medical conditions, a person has to listen to medical advice, but also has to listen to their own body, and the results of medical tests, to determine what works for them. 
What’s worked for me
In the past two years, I’ve been relatively free of symptoms, which is excellent because I am taking Fosamax, known to create heartburn problems.  I only occasionally need an over-the-counter antacid (Pepcid-AC is my favorite). The previous ten years, I had persistent problems. but I didn’t follow all the dietary recommendations (e.g., I drank caffeinated coffee).  The biggest changes that seem to have worked for me is that I lost 20 pounds and stopped drinking caffeinated coffee.  If I had to guess, I’d say the weight loss contributed more, because I strictly watch my diet and portion control to maintain my weight. Portion control helps because eating smaller meals reduces GERD symptoms.  But I also don’t drink caffeinated drinks.
Everybody had different triggers
In talking to many of my friends who have acid reflux, we all have different triggers. So it pays to be an observer. For some unknown reason, bagels trigger my heartburn.  Only 1/3 of those larger bagels makes my stomach very unhappy . Fats also seem to trigger the heartburn. I still remember my very first severe heartburn incident came from eating a croissant. Orange juice and Champaign are totally off my list. Anti-inflammatory drugs can also trigger heartburn.
I am not particularly bothered by spicy or hot foods (unless I really overdo it), certain wines (red or white), and I confess, I eat 1-2 Chocolate squares each night after dinner. I’ve read somewhere that the caffeine in chocolate is different (that’s my story and I’m sticking to it). I do seem to be able to tolerate tomatoes, spaghetti sauce, V8, and vinegar, although I don’t eat these foods in excess. Other people I’ve talked to can’t eat tomatoes or drink wine, but fats don’t seem to be a problem.
Delayed reaction
When I was having heartburn problems and drinking caffeinated coffee, I didn’t notice an immediate reaction to coffee, as I did other foods. I may have incorrectly assumed caffeine wasn’t a problem.  So before you decide a food is ok for you, I’d say stop eating that food for several weeks to see if your heartburn improves.
Warning – Bone Density and Proton Pump Inhibitors
To manage my GERD, I was on Nexium for two years. My bone density was already low, and it dropped 5% in two years, where it hadn’t dropped in the previous eight years.  So be very careful if you have lower-than normal bone density and  work with your doctor to manage both conditions.
Have you found something successful in managing your GERD?  Share it with us.
GERD resources
MedicineNet.com – an excellent article covering all aspects of GERD

No comments:

Post a Comment