Sunday, October 23, 2011

National Chocolate Day - Enjoy this Guilty Pleasure!

istockphoto.com
October 28 is National Chocolate Day, so what better time to extol the benefits of chocolate?  As a hard core dark chocolate lover, today’s blog is not going to go into excruciating details about all the health benefits. Instead, I’ll just wax poetic about the joy of chocolate, list the benefits, and provide references for those who want details.
I’m sure you won’t be able to tangibly notice the many health benefits researchers are starting to credit chocolate with, but one benefit you will notice. Women have known it for years, Chocolate is one of the best mood enhancers there is!
To show you how to get the maximum benefit from this mood-enhancing substance, I’ll go out on a limb and share my daily chocolate ritual. It’s one the most relaxing, yet mood enhancing times of my day. My favorite chocolate is a Ghirardelli Twilight 72% dark chocolate square. If you don’t like dark chocolate, choose your own favorite chocolate and imagine this ritual in your mind; or better yet, get your favorite chocolate and join me. Do this ritual slowly, so you can savor every second. 
I slowly unwrap the chocolate square. I listen to the crinkle of the plastic wrap, which starts to fortify my senses with anticipation.  I break off about ¼ of the square. I hold it to my nose and take a deep breath, smelling it’s chocolaty goodness. Then I lay it on my tongue,  close my eyes and let the chocolate soften and melt. I slowly move it along my tongue to make sure the sweet, creamy, chocolaty  flavor fills my entire mouth.  I concentrate solely on the taste, smell and feel of the chocolate. My breathing slows and deepens as I savor every last flavonoid. When the flavor disappears, I pop the next piece in my mouth and repeat the ritual. After the last piece has melted, I still savor the dwindling flavor and the absolute joy and peacefulness from my chocolate ritual.
That leads me to the second major benefit of chocolate. That 60 calorie chocolate square is much lower in calories other deserts, well, maybe not Jell-O, but which would you rather have? And, in an earlier blog, Five Tips to Reduce Eating, chocolate can be the key factor in two of the five tips. First, the fat in chocolate can stimulate your “I’m full” hormones. Second, you can use chocolate as a symbol to end your meal, signaling your mind and body that after you eat the chocolate, you are done eating.
Finally, even with all the benefits of chocolate, go ahead and still consider it your guilty pleasure. That might even enhance the pleasure of your daily chocolate ritual.
Benefits and references
 Mood enhancer (this one doesn’t need references, does it?)

No comments:

Post a Comment