Sunday, April 24, 2011

Seven Stick with it Tips

We all have days when we have trouble sticking with a healthy lifestyle .  My slump days are frequently based on mood. Today is a round-up of tips I’ve collected for sticking with healthy eating and exercise.   
Get a buddy. Form a relationship with a person or group who inspires hope and belief; someone who makes you say, if she can do it, I can, too. This the way many of the weight loss programs work. They are a support system to keep you going and to show you it is possible.1 
Read for inspiration. Reading magazines such as Runner’s World, Shape, and Fitness Magazine  boosts my enthusiasm towards working out and eating healthy. I read of people who face struggles similar to my own and how they overcome them. Just seeing the pictures of healthy people and healthy food keeps me enthused.  And nowadays, you can see most of the magazine’s content online. 2,3,4
Have a Plan B. Figure out your biggest obstacle and have two or three back-up plans. If your obstacle is unhealthy snacking, always have healthy treats that you love around whether it’s crunchy (carrot, jicama or celery sticks with hummus) or sweet ( sugarless gum, sugarless jello,  sugarless hard candy). If you have a hard time exercising, have a plan that will make it easy – some favorite DVDs or a buddy at work to take a lunchtime walk.
Enter a race. Some people find working toward a goal keeps them on a program. Many of my friends swear by races as a motivational tool. Once you’ve entered a race, you have to train to complete the race. Not only do these events keep you striving to do your best, you have a great sense of accomplishment when you complete the race.
Hold a Contest. Several of us at work have a mass weight reduction plan. Contribute $50 in the beginning with a goal of losing 5% of your weight in 15 weeks. If you gain weight any week, $2 gets deducted from your pot for every pound you gain. At the end of the 15 weeks, those who reached their 5% weight loss goal split the money.  Everybody who reaches their goal wins!
Face your mood. One thing I’m slowly learning is to change my thinking when I feel tired or uninspired. When I start thinking of eating a treat to boost my energy or spirits, I ask myself if a treat is really going to make me feel any better.  The answer is always no (unless it’s a Ghirardelli dark chocolate square, broken into pieces and slowly savored).
Picture It.  For several years I had a picture of a running,  muscular 70-year old woman who placed first in her age group in the Ironman Triathalon on my desk. She had been a swimmer since she was a young adult. The image of someone who had kept at fitness her entire life inspired me. Some people post pictures of their slender selves on their refrigerators. Others post pictures of themselves when they were heavier as a reminder to avoid certain foods. Pick whichever picture works for you – the carrot (an inspiring picture) or the stick (a picture of something you want to avoid).
We all face times when it’s hard to stay on the healthy path. Hopefully, some of these tips will help you. Let us hear what you do when you to keep on track.
References
  1. Losee, Stephanie. "The Willoower Myth. How to Really Make a Change at Work and in Life - Oprah.com." Oprah Winfrey's Official Website - Live Your Best Life - Oprah.com. Jan. 2008.Losee, Stephanie. "How to Really Make a Change at Work and in Life - Oprah.com." Oprah Winfrey's Official Website - Live Your Best Life - Oprah.com. Jan. 2008. -

No comments:

Post a Comment