Sunday, April 10, 2011

Pushing Yourself – Workout Challenges That Make You Stronger and Help You Burn Fat

This morning I was spinning to Radar Love by Golden Earring, about 200 beats per minute. I felt tired and my brain started the self talk, “Why am I so tired? Did I over-exercise yesterday?” Then I looked at my heart rate monitor. It was at 100%, theoretically my highest rate.  No wonder I felt so tired.  I decided to push through the entire song, six minutes, a big challenge. 
I constantly give myself challenges.  While spinning, I tell myself, “I won’t put my butt on the seat until the end of this song.” Other times while spinning I crank up the tension on the bike until it’s really hard to peddle through the entire Led Zeppelin song, Kashmir.  For me, it’s a perfect challenge song. I love the song and I imagine myself plodding through the desert. In running, I’ll increase the speed and challenge myself to keep that speed until the end of the song. See my Feburary 13 blog, Music to Get You Moving for links to challenge (fast-paced) songs.
Challenges are the way you improve. It’s those challenge moments that help increase aerobic ability and strength. Runners do challenge runs several times a week to improve, e.g., intervals (bursts of speed followed by low-intensity recovery repeated throughout the workout) and running hills for strength.  Evidence shows that intervals improves cardio vascular fitness and raises the body’s potential to burn fat.1
So the next time your brain tells you, “stop, this is too hard!” challenge yourself: I’ll finish this song, I’ll go to the end of the block. I’ll do two more reps of that weight. It will make you stronger. It most likely will help you burn fat. And you will be proud of your efforts.
Warnings:
Do gradual challenges.  For example, runners are told to only increase their mileage by maximum of 10% a week. If you are just starting an exercise program, consult the internet or books to tell you how to increase your ability. Many exercise videos will also tell you how to start and how to challenge yourself in the workout.
Do warm up before pushing yourself.  You risk injury if you start high-intensity workouts before you muscles are warmed.
Don’t overdo it. As Harry Callahan (Dirty Harry) said, “A man’s got to know his limitations.” I’ve been jogging and spinning for many years, and have had a stress test, so I know pushing myself at 100% for six minutes isn’t going to hurt me.  If you don’t know yourself, you might want to talk to your doctor or find articles about how to safely push yourself in whatever exercise you do.
Don’t push until your form is bad. That usually leads to injury.
Don’t exercise while injured. In Brain Training For Runners, author Matt Fitzgerald,  says you should stop exercise if you are injured – it will only get worse.2  Matt’s book and recommendations are the result of compiled evidence from the latest research in exercise physiology. A great read for runners, or even other athletes, who want to improve their performance.
References
Jaret, Peter. "A Healthy Mix of Rest and Motion." The New York Times: Fashion and Style. The New York Times, 9 May 2007. Web. 10 Apr. 2011.
Fitzgerald, Matt. Brain Training for Runners: a Revolutionary New Training System to Improve Endurance, Speed, Health, and Results. New York: New American Library, 2007. Print.
Karp, Jason R. "Interval Training: Follow This Training Plan and You Could Become One Of Our Weight Loss Success Stories: Shape Magazine." Shape Magazine: Diet, Fitness, Recipes, Healthy Eating Expertise. 02 July 2010. Web. 10 Apr. 2011.
Quinn, Elizabeth. "Interval Training Workouts - Interval Training Workouts Improve Speed and Endurance." Sports Medicine, Sports Performance, Sports Injury - Information About Sports Injuries  

No comments:

Post a Comment