Sunday, June 26, 2011

Spinning and Bone Density

istockphoto.com
I have low bone density, so I am concerned about maintaining my bones.  Just like many other medical conditions, it seems like there is very little or confusing information about what I should do.  I got a booklet about the importance of weight-bearing exercise and calcium. When I tell the doctors, “I love spinning,” they quickly retort bike riding isn’t weight-bearing. That doesn’t make sense to me. Here’s why.

What is Weight-bearing?
According to definitions “Weight-bearing exercise is any activity that is performed in a standing position or that requires your bones to support your weight, which would exclude activities such as swimming and biking.(1) (2)

Is Spinning Weight-Bearing?
But Spinning is not biking. In my 45 minute class, we are in the standing position at least 25 minutes during the class.  To me, that seems to qualify as weight-bearing – I’m not sitting, I’m standing. 

Dr. Robert Recker, Director, Osteoporosis Research Center, Creighton University,  says “If you stay seated, cycling is non-weight-bearing: The bike is supporting your weight. But when you stand in the pedals (as I often do when huffing up a hill or through a sprint), the exercise becomes weight-bearing: Your feet, braced on the pedals, are supporting part of your weight, said Recker.” (3)

So it seems at least one doctor recognizes that there is a weight-bearing component to spinning.

What about the Competitive Cyclists study?
A frequently mentioned study of competitive cyclists showed they have low bone density. The researcher did add the caveats that these competitive bikers were lower weight than normal, trained intensely for several hours a and that perhaps sweating and drinking water played a significant role in the low bone density. The researcher felt that normal people would not have the low bone density problem (4).  Proponents of these studies have pointed out that the studies were not controlled for performance enhancing drugs which impacts bone density.

Bottom Line
If you love spinning as I do, keep it up. It includes some weight-bearing and it gives cardiovascular benefits. But reinforce it with other exercise.  The University of Arizona  Bone Builders site has good information and bone building exercise chart. (5)

References
  1. Livestrong.com, Definition of Weight-bearing Exercise
  2. Livestrong.com, Definition of a Weight-bearing Exercise
  3. Washingtonpost.com, Bone Health: A Weight Bearing Argument , Tuesday, July 27, 2004; Page HE03
  4. New York TImes.com, Is Bicycling Bad for your Bones? Gretchen Reynolds, New York Times, Health
  5. Arizona University, Bone Building Exercise Chart

5 comments:

  1. It is a very nice post to share. and quite informative as lots of people are unaware of such facts. really appreciating.
    Keep sharing such information. will be looking forward for some more. thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. I felt very happy while reading this site. This was really very informative site for me. I really liked it. This was really a cordial post. Thanks a lot!. keto diet weight loss

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice post. I was checking constantly this blog and I am impressed! Extremely helpful information specially the last part I care for such info a lot. I was seeking this particular information for a very long time. Thank you and good luck. 30 day free trial diet pills

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for this article very helpful. thanks. koktale

    ReplyDelete
  5. Understanding what healthcare costs is important to deciding the best strategy for funding your own healthcare needs. qdoba for diabetic

    ReplyDelete