Saturday, February 5, 2011

And Now For Some Completely Different Super Bowl Health Tips

Temptation? 1 Hot Wing = 200 Calories
It’s Super Bowl Sunday. And instead of usual advice on healthy snacks and not overeating, today’s blog will hopefully give some tips you don’t see all the time.
But before I give you my unusual tips, here is an interesting fact from the Calorie Control Council : The average calorie intact of Super Bowl snacks is 1,200 calories and 50 grams of fat.  One LA Times article tells you how far you’d have to walk to burn off the calories from various popular Super Bowl snacks.  Another article on Live Well Nebraska from the World-Herald Bureau warns that between the snacks and the stress, you could have a heart attack.

Below I will give you links to healthier snacks. But here are my completely different tips:


Dump those Goodies
 
As soon as the game is over, throw the leftover snacks away (in a way you won’t be tempted to retrieve them a little later). Yes. Right now. Don’t wait a second. Grind those hot wings, blue cheese, chips and dip in the garbage disposal or put them in the trash and cover them with coffee grounds. Why?  If you are anything like me, over the next few days, you’ll continue to sneak from your snack stash. If you keep that food around, you may eat more fat and calories snacking after the Super Bowl than you did during the Super Bowl.  I confess, after my Christmas party over a week’s time span I ate a bowl of fat-laden spinach dip and crackers and a half a salami stick.
Do a little exercise when the Super Bowl ends.  I have a friend takes a half-hour walk after a big meal.  Dr. Oz recommends doing squats for 1 minute, just enough to kick up that metabolism again.
Add 5 minutes a day to your exercise regime for the next two weeks. That way those extra calories won’t add to a permanent weight gain.
So as promised, here are some links to healthy super bowl snacks (my favorite is sugar snap peas and jicama – crunchy and great even without dip).  Note:  All of these links are McAfee Secure Sites. Enjoy the Super Bowl (or whatever else you plan on doing tonight)!


Eating Well’s Healthy Super Bowl Recipes and Menus  - some of these looked scrumptious!
11 Healthy Super Bowl Snacks – from Health.com. Look great, especially the Lemon-drop chicken wings, but watch the calories in some of these
Healthy Super Bowl Recipe Roundup – Links to recipes from This Mama Cooks (on a diet)
6 Healthy Snacks and Recipes for a Super Duper BowlFit Bottom Girls (ok Queen fans, love the title a word play on one of my all time favorite songs and this site has a lot of interesting stuff)
Notes on using the Swish Technique from last week’s .  My attempt to use the Swish Technique worked – I was able to replace my stay-in-bed self talk with a get-up response – but I forgot to add the and exercise part. Also, the link I gave you didn’t talk about making your replacement image as detailed, vivid and complete as possible – actually see and feel yourself in the new behavior. Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment