Sunday, February 13, 2011

Music to Get You Moving

This week has suggestions for making playlists and links to playlist sites. 
A great playlist gets me moving and keeps me moving when my energy wanes.  As C+C Music Factory says "Let the rhythm move you!"  Technology has makes it easy to build a personalized playlist off the web in less than 1/2 hour and for less than $10.  Or, if you are less inclined to build your own playlist, the link list below contains sites where you can purchase prepared playlists.

Making Playlists

Personal Taste.  One of the most important things to consider is your taste and style. Think about what type of music energizes you. What songs do you love? A playlist of songs you love can draw you to a workout.  
Workout Type. Another thing to consider is the type of workout you do. For running I need a more consistent pace, nothing too slow. For spinning, the pace can vary greatly. If the song is slow, I can increase the resistance (which helps to build strength). I know, you maniac treadmill runners out there are going to tell me I could increase the incline on a slower song. Ugh!

Variety versus Consistency. What draws you to the workout? Do you get bored using the same playlist or do you look forward to the same songs each workout? Lucky you if you like the same playlist - it's certainly cheaper and takes less time.

Organizing the playlist. You want to think about your workout. Start with a slower song to warm up. I made the mistake of starting a couple of playlists with extremely fast songs that I love, but paid the price later in the workout. I like to put the most energetic songs at the end of a longer workout to boost me when my energy starts flagging. You might want to put some slower songs at the end for your cool down.

Length of workout.  You might consider separate playlists for different workout lengths. For shorter workouts, you can have faster-paced songs throughout. For longer workouts you might want to change pace a few times between high energy and moderate pace. I have 30 minute playlists, 45 minute playlists and a few playlists that are as long as three hours.

Pace. Beats per minute can be important if you exercise to the beat. Many mp3 providers now provide beats per minute or you can determine it for yourself by playing a song for 15 seconds and multiplying by four.

Finally, edit you playlist if it doesn't work for you. Earlier i said i started   a couple of playlists with lively songs. While using other playlists, I found that even though I loved a particular song, it just didn't keep my energy up in the workout.


List your songs: Use the comments to list your favorite songs. 

What topics would you like covered? One last thing.  Please use comments to tell me what health topics you are most interested in: eating tips, healthy recipes, exercises, stretching, how to keep motivated, how to track your progress. What you you like to see in this blog?

Prepared Playlists


JogTunes.com – Suggests playlists tailored to pace (beats per minute) and preferred song genres and/or artist.  Gives you help in determining your preferred pace. Also lists Prepared Playlists. You can buy the tunes from their suggested lists.

WalMart.com or iTunes.com sells Shape Cardio workout albums.

Songs for the Do-it-Yourselfer

Sue' favs - Song lists for several types of workouts, including a "happy songs" playlist






No comments:

Post a Comment